Thursday, January 14, 2010

Either Way - You Lose.

Poor, frustrated, destitute. I entered the ATM kiosk to withdraw my last ten dollars out of my bank account - bitter in the knowledge that I would still be residing in that horrible hellhole for another month and a half. No one was there. I stared at the screen and something was not right. The icon asked if I wanted to finish my transaction or return my card. I hadn't put my bank card in the slot yet. Someone had left their card in the ATM before me. I hit the button that asked withdrawal amount. I typed in $100. Five $20 bills spat out. I snatched them and shoved them in my pocket. My breath quickened - my mind wheeled - all problems seemed to melt away. I hit the icon that displayed the bank account amount. $74,987. I start pushing buttons and twenties spat out. I withdrew the card and walked briskly out of the ATM into the cold morning air. My breath puffing out in front of me as I strode down the gray sidewalk in that bright morning sun.
Then it hit me. What have I done? This is not me! I can't possibly get away with this! I didn't even look at the card and tossed it into a nearby gutter. I knew I had committed some heinous crime and was to serve some long sentence behind bars - so, before returning the money, I guess I should get my thing in order.
I returned to the mish, packed my bags and confessed to my caseworker what happened and asked if he would hold onto my luggage and laptop while I was locked up. He assured me - no, it was as if you had found the money - you didn't steal it, but, the right thing was to return it. So, he drove me to back to the bank. Dropping me off at the corner, I entered and promptly asked for the bank manager but was led to some assistant.
I explained what happened - the assistant listened, took the money ($900) my personal information, said thank you and I went on my way.
This isn't over - though several people have assured me that I did the right thing by returning the money, that I really did not steal anything - I am sure that this will make it's way back and somehow bite me in the ass. That is okay - I am willing and prepared to accept whatever circumstances that ensues from this stupidity on my behalf...

4 comments:

Robert Smallwood said...

Man, I'm shocked u didn't split with the cash -- coulda been in P.R.!!

mkf said...

the vagaries of humanity never fail to leave me astonished.

you blithely trip across bleeding bodies begging for help without a second thought, yet it's the thought of pocketing someone else's soulless money that finally triggers your scruples.

whatever--long as you still have some, you're still human.

for what it's worth, warm regards for remaining one of us.

Romara said...

It's amazing you had the strength to turn back. Most people (and probally me) would have grabbed it and left! Don't beat yourself over what could have been and just tell yourself that you did what you did and who cares except the person who didn't lose money?

Anonymous said...

you spin a good tale.