Sunday, June 21, 2009

Void

Stood on the corner of 4th and Broadway in downtown San Diego - the skie the gray color of a dead television set. The traffic rumbled past, pedestrians went on their way - my eye fixed on the red light waiting to turn green. The nostalgic stench of alcohol and halitosis attacked my nostrils.
"Hey man...you seem a intelligent and nice guy."
I turned towards the offending sounds and smell. Short, her hair a rats nest even a rat don't want, long dull yellow teeth in a lip less mouth. Her clothes were dirty - shiny over the dirt. Her mouth was gaping open and closed like a carp flopped on shore gasping for air. She went into a long well remembered pitch on the soft touch. Though I stared at her, face with the mask of concerned apathy - I didn't listen. Knew how the story ended. The light switches green and she's not done with her soliloquy.
Cutting her off in mid-sentence, I snap, "Can't help ya sister." And cross the street - with her still babbling her memorized story to an empty audience.
Caught Pelam 123, not a bad action flick - just was told it was a remake. Didn't know. After the movie, returned to the border and as I stood in front of Restaurant Nelson under that millennium arch slashed across the sky - in no less than thirty minutes, I was bummed for cash no less than thirty times.
I stood thinking of my next book, chain smoking cigarette cigarette cigarette. I know it's going to be something - I personally haven't touched meth in over ten years - but, the reaction I have received posting excerpts on my blog has really jazzed me...
So, again - not doing much just writing, hanging out at the cafe, burned out on writing...socializing with anyone who cares to talk, yet even then I am distant....I think after this book a long road trip is in the works...really am bored of the monotony of living in this safe, comfy zone I have put myself into.
But, then again do I want to leave?

No comments: