Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Shoulda made that right turn at Albuquerque...


After a hella long bus ride from Manhattan to Tucson, I unloaded my gear from the Greyhound Bus and hailed a taxi. I asked the driver to take me to wherever the cheapest hotels. That would be Oracle Ave. or as the locals call it, The Miracle Mile. As the rain poured in sheets phantoms and crack-buzzing prostitutes prowled the soaked street. The Taxi Driver took me to the Hacienda Hotel, a decomposing hotel for only twenty dollars a night. I didn't care. I just wanted a warm bed and a hot shower. Paid the man, and moseyed up to the front desk. A little Indian woman (The Hindu kind.) was a warm reception as she showed me to my room.
Comfortable. Had HBO. Vibrating bed. I got undressed and ran hot water into the cracked tub. As I lay there stewing in my doubts I came to realize, I think I may give Tucson a try. I think I would like to live here. Why not? It seems a pretty cool place and has a great artist colony. Perhaps it’s time to change for the New Year.
After a great night’s sleep, I awoke and decided that since I didn't have any more money, I will seek out a shelter and use their facilities. I went to McDonald's for breakfast and I saw these two homeless-looking types and struck up a conversation with them. I asked for their opinion on what would be the best shelter in town. They said there were several, but hands down that would be Primavera Men's Shelter. So, after treating the two guys to coffee and breakfast, I called Primavera and secured myself a bunk at the place. I have to report there tonight at five o'clock.
And so, this is a great new chapter in my life. I think this is going to be a great change...new people, sparking insight, invigorating ideas, new friends.
This is going to be interesting. How about some feedback, ya'll?

2 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Hi!
First of all lots of luck and blessings in this new adventure of yours!
Hmmm I'm sure you will make it big anywhere in the world, you're like the smart, sexy guy without a nation or something. Sometimes it's actually good not to have attachments, to just let go of life and seek something new to fulfill you, for being so brave you have my admiration!
Now to the less serious stuff, I'm thrilled to read your stories, they're so much fun and I bet if I had to go through stuff like that I would die from fear, but yet there you are, broke, alone but with so much hope and so much positivity that it really doesn't seem you go through the things you live. (I guess I kept it serious lol)Once again lots of love and light!

LMB said...

Thanks, Jose! You are the wind beneath my wings.