Monday, June 19, 2006

Home Is Where You Wear Your Hat.

Independent.
I have been tagged with that more than once in my life. Let me try to explain, because I have a myriad of thoughts racing through my mind right now and as they say, the best place to start is the beginning.
Everything that I have set out to accomplish since I have left Tijuana back in August has borne fruit. More perhaps than I have wished, perhaps. My plan was quite simple, to come to Juarez City, attain employment in Juarez, live cheaply, save as much money as I can and open a small bed and breakfast on the beach somewhere in Costa Rica. All the while seeing what was wrong with the old noggin' and taking advantage of the free mental health here in this desert waste.
I have encountered many sidetracks and temptations, but I have through all this stayed steady and sure to my original plan. Then most recent of these temptations have been the so-called assistant housing from MHMR, the local nut ward that I have found myself attached to. At first I was promised that the first two years were going to be paid rent free for any apartment of my choosing within their budget under $450 and I found a beautiful unit in downtown El Paso and was all set to move in. However, during this time I was racked with illness - headaches, sleepless nights, I couldn't concentrate at work, I was irritable - and I figured it all out after what happened yesterday. My psychoanalyst informed me that now I was to pay thirty percent of the rent for the apartment - which would roughly come to $150, the amount I am paying for my place in Juarez - I decided to think this over the only way I knew how.
I got lobotomized drunk.
With my friend Enrique at bar Buen Tiempo, we both drank and talked and drank and talked. Afterwards, we stumbled around the corner to Cafe Central and downed coffee and talked some more and that's when it hit me. I came with a plan and this plan has been working so far, so why fuck it up?
No, I have decided to stay in Juarez City for the next few years and save my cash - or at least until I have enough to open that business of mine down in Costa Rica. And who knows, new opportunities may open themselves before then?

No comments: