Sunday, July 15, 2007

Escaping - literally - the filthy ravages of Tijuana, I make it to the Greyhound minutes before departure. Waiting in line, the slow ass ticket lady sure as shit was taking her time - had to act fast! I begged the few people in front of me to let me cut, since they were not boarding the bus to El Paso - they were nice enough to oblige and I got my ticket in the nick of time.
The over night bus was packed with your usual fare of Greyhound riff raff - I took a seat with a middle aged hillbilly with a blond mullet (He confided in me that his destination was South Carolina - had to have the word 'south' in it.) harassed by youthful gang banger coming out of the W.C. - 'You stepped on my shoes, homey!' 'Move your damn feet.' But in Calexico, the passengers thinned out and I got a seat to myself after twice being checked by the Border Patrol.
As always, I can't sleep on a moving vehicle and stared out into the moving darkness all night. When we hit Gila Bend, Arizona the sun rose a golden ball of flame inching over the craggy mountainous eastern horizon and it was odd to leave the lush green surroundings of San Diego and to once again find myself looking out into flat tan desert dotted with sage brush and spire like cactus.
Passing lonely farm houses locked in a sea of green...Motel Westward...R.V. park....concrete dinosaur...3am in Yuma hot shirtless boys skateboard in convenient store parking lot...mountainous formations of purples and blues...lifeless colorless tract houses destroy all individuality...
Come to Phoenix, Arizona to change buses. Phoenix how I hate your stinking guts. Crammed onto a bus filled with Mexican migrant workers - my bag is placed onto the overflow bus for the rest of the East bound passengers. Long gloomy silence as we meander towards Texas. Naco next to me falls asleep and produces fantastic erection in his grey sweat pants. I look over and he is handsome - playing a sleep, he puts my hand onto his crotch under his jacket and I give him a stroking until my hand looks like a glazed donut.
Roll into El Paso and that is one hot town - climate wise. Over flow bus had not arrived when we got there - so I trudge over to The Gateway Hotel and get a cheap room for the night. Showered, slept and when I returned to retrieve my luggage from the terminal - of coarse it was lost. Of coarse. So, filling out forms and giving information - I was asked to return in 24 hours. Strolling around downtown El Paso at 10:30pm was kind of creepy - silent, destitute, no people, everything closed. A couple of hookers clomped around - but no one. Nothing. Perfect.
I returned to my room and fell asleep. Well, here it goes...

No comments: