Monday, October 18, 2004

Boredom and Pasta Alfredo.


Well, it is going to rain all day today. All freakin' day! God, I feel like I'm living in Scotland or some other permanently soggy country. It's coming down so hard. And on my day off! Guess I will spend it watching television. But, what? Midget Mexican Wrestling? Jerry Springer? Oprah? Thunder Cats? I guess I can watch a DVD. Can't choose! Star Wars? Mommy Dearest? 1984? Willy Wonka? *sigh* All my friends are at work. I guess I could start that graphic novel...nah. Perhaps write a new screenplay. How's this: A real handsome homosexual assassin who fucks his enemies before he kills them. On one job he falls in love. Title: Passion of the Assassin. No!!! I'm not a hack, fercrissakes!!
At least on the bright side, Alfredo said he's coming over for dinner tonight. I'm making Pasta with garlic bread. He is just the most sincere passionate sweetest guy I know. Too bad he loves his wife. Son cosas de la vida.
Well, I guess I better put on a raincoat and slosh to the market. I don't have any meat for the pasta.
Last night, Alfredo, Saul, and I went out for drinks. We were drenched by the rain, so we dropped into this bar you had to go down a little flight of stairs to get to. There were perhaps eight other people in this small cantina. The jukebox wailed Mexican music as the bartender smiled and pointed to a table, "Please sit down."
The three of us sat and the waiter came over and asked us what we wanted. At this moment this drunk beggar sided up at the table and, putting out his hand, asked for a few pesos. Our waiter politely pushed him away and then the drunk whirled around and punched the waiter in the face.
Then all hell broke loose.
The bartender, in one swoop, dived over the bar with a metal bat and started clubbing the beggar. Then two men, with our waiter, started punching and kicking the drunk to a pulp. Right in front of our table. Two guys then picked up the unconscious guy, went up the flight of stairs, and threw the drunk out. As I looked down at the floor smeared in blood, teeth, and gore, our waiter adjusted his tussled hair and said with professional dignity, "Can I get you anything else, Caballeros?"
"No." I said, grinning. "We're cool."
Well, I better get to the market before it washes away. Alfredo better give me some tonight.


No comments: