Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The view clacked past as the trolley sped south to the International Border. I sat and watched mired in deep thought. My intention was to search for a permanent residence in Tijuana - settle down finally and live a sedate life befitting my progressing age. However, I did not feel comfortable. I am burned out with TJ, you know what I mean? I want to live in my comfort zone; yet in a Mexican border town.
Pulling into the San Ysidro station, humped it across the bridge - the sky was that bright sunny blue. - the wind was biting cold. As I passed the metal turnstiles into the city and trudged along to Plaza Santa Cecilia - I wished to find some old friends that hopefully worked in a restaurant there - I thought and thought and thought as I journeyed to the arch at the base of El Revo.
I kinda like Juarez City more - it is cheaper, more tranquil, the cops don't fuck with you as much and the boys are well behaved.
I strode up to the restaurant El Patio and found Felipe sitting there - it seems with the new law of Americans possessing passports to return from Mexico has taken its toll on the tourist trade. The Plaza was a dead museum - as I had predicted a year ago. Felipe and I shot the shit and I half inquired about an apartment for rent but I wasn't feeling it. It just didn't seem right - the thrill has been squeezed out.
I sat and drank coffee with Felipe and Victor as I explained my good fortune with SSI. Damn! Where is everybody? No hustlers, drug pushers, hookers clopping around...the place was damn depressing. The street vendors and roving musicians stood blinking in the sun slackjawed with no tourists about to hustle. A great era apparently has come to an end.
I said my adioses to them and moved on. Stepping in a side shop to buy a pack of Faros - I noticed Old Chuck huddled in a cafe table nursing a cup of ever present coffee. Blabbed with that relic for a few minutes - boring. Moved on and returned stateside. After standing in a line half a mile long to cross, I made my decision to definitely return to Juarez, buy a laptop and write that stupid book. Who knows - I might find success and fame down that avenue.

No comments: